We are committed to the safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We seek to ensure that our church is a welcoming but safe place for all who come through our doors.
- Every person has a value and dignity which comes directly from the creation of male and female in God’s own image and likeness. This implies a duty to value all people as bearing the image of God and therefore to protect them from harm.
- We recognise that safeguarding is 'Everybody’s business' and are committed to ensuring that safeguarding is a priority.
- We are committed to providing regular training for all our volunteers who work with children and young people
- We accept and endorse the principles set out in Safeguarding in the Diocese of Rochester, HM Government, Working together to Safeguard Children and What to do if you’re worried a child is being abused.
- We commit ourselves to nurture, protect and safeguard all our members, particularly children, young people and vulnerable adults.
- We undertake to exercise proper care in the selection, appointment, training and support of those working in both paid and voluntary positions with children or vulnerable adults, including the use of Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosures and making appropriate referrals to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
- We will respond without delay to concerns or allegations that a child or vulnerable adult may have been harmed, cooperating with the police and social care services in any investigation.
- We will challenge any abuse of power by anyone in a position of trust.
- We will seek to offer pastoral care and support to anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with them appropriate pastoral support.
- We will seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision and referral to the proper authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child, young person or vulnerable adult.
We follow the Rochester Diocese policy for safeguarding.
We have appointed Cath Johnston as Children’s safeguarding lead.
If you would like to speak to someone outside our church contact:
Janice Keen is the Bishop’s Adviser for Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults.
or telephone 01634 560000 or 07787 445032.